Re: [exim] Retry interval with multiple mx

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry interval with multiple mx
On 03/07/17 17:02, Andreas Sachs wrote:
>    As far as i could see, if exims tries to send a message and receives a
>    temporal error (deferred), all further messages to the same recipient
>    are freezed until the retry interval is expired.

It depends whether the SMTP command getting the temporary-error was
associated with the message or with no particular message. A 4xx
to the EHLO, for instance, was not associated with a message - and
Exim takes as meaning an issue with the entire host.

>    I assume that a second delivery attemp will be started immediately if a
>    second mx is present.

In Exim's terms, part of the same delivery attempt. The queueing for
retry only happens after all (or too many) MXs are tried.

>    What will happen if the second mx points to the same ip as the first?
>    Does exim uses the name or the ip to maintain retry intervals?

The combination of both the name and the IP.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy