Re: [exim] Start working with exim config files

Góra strony
Autor: John Smith
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Start working with exim config files
Hello,

First many thanks to all three for you're replies.
I just installed a VM with Fedora and took a look to the exim config
file... sure it seems to be more readable for a beginer like me!
The options are directly associated with values, less examples of
configuration.

Niels :
Are you talking about this Debian community http://forums.debian.net ?
Which Linux distrib are you using now ?

Jan :
Thanks for the confirmations :) The server where I want to set Exim
with TLS is on a Debian and many other services are already running.
So I will try to continue in this way.

Yves :
Very nice articles! The URL is now bookmarked.
So going back playing with TLS with Debian!

Thanks again.

Regards,
John

Envoy?: mardi 13 juin 2017 ? 12:30
De: "John Smith" <j0hnsm1th@???>
?: exim-users@???
Objet: [exim] Start working with exim config files
Hello,
I started working with Exim a few days ago, so I'm a very very beginner
for now. The question I have is, I think, very easy and the goal of my
question is to get a proper use of Exim's config files.
The setup :
I'm using a Debian distribution, so after installing Exim4 I done a :
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config to set the main parameters of my network.
After that, I wanted to enable TLS and here is the problem...
I added the "MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = yes" in the
conf.d/main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions. Here it works after restarting
Exim : I can see STARTTLS after EHLO localhost on telnet.
But after that I wanted to set other options like (for examples) :
tls_certificate = /etc/ssl/certs/file1.crt
tls_privatekey = /etc/ssl/certs/private/file2.key
(I know that Exim takes by default the exim.key and exim.crt in
/etc/exim4 folder so I can unset the two lines above and use the files
generated by gencert command... but it's to understand the good way to
set/redefine the parameters in config files).
So... I tried to insert theses two lines in &#65533;
conf.d/main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions &#65533; and also after in a new
file &#65533;
conf.d/main/000_local &#65533;... but Exim tells : "tls_certificate"
option
set for the second time".
So I took a look to the files in conf.d and saw that this &#65533;
tls_certificate &#65533; parameters already exists like here :
.ifdef MAIN_TLS_CERTKEY
tls_certificate = MAIN_TLS_CERTKEY
.else
.ifndef MAIN_TLS_CERTIFICATE
MAIN_TLS_CERTIFICATE = CONFDIR/exim.crt
.endif
(If the MAIN_TLS_CERTKEY is defined, Exim takes this parameter. Else if
not defined, Exim use the default files like "/etc/exim4/exim.crt"
where CONFDIR is defined as /etc/exim4).
Here is my question : what is the best way to define a value like this
?
Create in conf.d/main directory a file called like &#65533; 000_local
&#65533; and
set in &#65533; MAIN_TLS_CERTKEY = value &#65533; ? I prefer asking to
admins what is the good way.
So with a second example, if I want to enable the &#65533;
tls_try_verify_hosts &#65533; value, I have to set :
MAIN_TLS_TRY_VERIFY_HOSTS='true' in the 000_local file in conf.d/main/
?
So with this each time you want to set a value and if it's already
defined in default conf, you have to find the variable associed ? Like
here, we wanted to set &#65533; tls_try_verify_hosts &#65533; and the
associated
variable is &#65533; MAIN_TLS_CERTKEY &#65533;.
I know it's a really beginner / noob noob question... but just want to
go to the good way with Exim.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
JohnS