Re: [exim] Start working with exim config files

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Niels Dettenbach
To: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Start working with exim config files
Hi John,

Am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2017, 12:30:52 CEST schrieb John Smith:
>    I added the "MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = yes" in the
>    conf.d/main/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions. Here it works after restarting
>    Exim : I can see STARTTLS after EHLO localhost on telnet.
>    But after that I wanted to set other options like (for examples) :
>    tls_certificate =  /etc/ssl/certs/file1.crt
>    tls_privatekey  =  /etc/ssl/certs/private/file2.key

>    (I know that Exim takes by default the exim.key and  exim.crt in
>    /etc/exim4 folder so I can unset the two lines above and use the files
>    generated by gencert command...

Just to clearify a bit:

Exim does (nearly) nothing "by default". Anything has to be configured within
the config file.

Exim has typically one config file, which could include further files if a user
want's to use that in any way.

"MAIN_TLS_ENABLE" is not a EXIM directive. Debian (as Ubuntu) use their own
(splitted) very complex config file with many own directives (mostly upper case
names) to "switch on/off" parts of their "configuration snippets".

So at the end, it is related to Debian how they handle that - and how you
could officially "fiddle in" your own config directives without breaking their
setup. If you want to use that, you may ask that within Debian community.

If you want (or must) to go a bit deeper into Exim, it may make sense to work
out your own config file (i.e. a single one) from one of the many examples in
the docs or the net. This is less "ugly" then it may seem to beginners and
gives you a much better readable config.

Personally i'm not using the Debian config files - so i can't help you with this
- had problems with breaks after security updates etc some years ago even on
"small systems".

hth a bit,
good luck,

Niels.