Re: [pcre-dev] Are there any examples of minimal embedded pc…

Author: ph10
To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Are there any examples of minimal embedded pcre (v2)?
On Fri, 5 May 2017, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason via Pcre-dev wrote:

> I'm looking into copying the pcre v2 sources into git.git as a way to
> appease people that mind the dependency, i.e. having to package pcre
> v2 themselves. They could then build with GIMME_YOUR_LIBPCRE2=Y or
> something.

> The only project doing that which I could think of was php, but they
> copy the entire pcre sources, I was hoping for something more minimal.
> I.e. just a copy of the relevant *.[ch] files with a minimal config.h.

A comment:

I originally wrote PCRE for use with Exim, and in the early days it was
bundled with Exim in exactly the way you describe. However, after some
years PCRE became pretty standard in many distributions, and maintaining
the relevant files and keeping up with PCRE changes was just too much of
a chore, so we stopped doing it. This was all a long time ago, because
it's now nearly 10 years since I retired and gave up working on Exim
altogether.

PCRE2 has been out for over 2 years now, and it is finding its way into
the distributions, but I don't know how widespread it is yet (it's in
Arch Linux, which I use).

But it's your call, of course!

Philip

--