Re: [exim] Weird epel build 4.88-3 issue fixed by epel-testi…

Author: Phillip Carroll
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Weird epel build 4.88-3 issue fixed by epel-testing build 4.89
On 3/25/2017 12:45 PM, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 25/03/17 18:51, Phillip Carroll wrote:
>> After only a couple of days running the 4.88-3.el7 build, I accidentally
>> discovered that it was filling up /var/spool/exim/input with a massive
>> number of 4K -D files. There were no other files in the spool, only -D.
>> Lacking -H files, routine checks showed an empty queue.
>
> Do the messages match Bug 2029? That was leaving orphan -D files
> in the spool.

Jeremy,

I found segfault messages like these in kernel.log:

    exim[8588]: segfault at 0 ip 000055ef14d00011 sp 00007fffe42f1940
error 4 in exim[55ef14c23000+11e000]
  (All having identical location description)

They don't seem to match your description of 2029, but all are
segfaults, and error 4.

In my case I have only found lost connections due to this that involve
two server IPs:
12.130.137.235
199.7.206.234

Both these IPs resolve to Responsys Inc. servers, but the lost emails
were actually from bulk mailers Staples, Lenovo, Tuesday Morning,
JCPenney, Monoprice, etc.. (identified in the logged connections)

--Phil