Re: [exim] 4.87 -> 4.88 readconf performance

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4.87 -> 4.88 readconf performance
On 04/03/17 22:27, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> Instrumenting the code with rudimentary timing metrics I found that on
> average in versions 4.66-4.87 readconf_main takes < 9000
> microseconds.
>
> On 4.88 it takes on average 63000 microseconds.

4.88 added builtin macros (for assorted features) and a startup
cost is associated with these. They are however only created
in a lazy fashion, when a macro name is seen in the config input
which starts underbar, letter. If you do not have any use of
a macro matching that you should not see a longer startup cost
for that specific reason.

Please check that and say whether it provides a fix for you.

> If I changed from piping the message to EXIM to connecting to
> localhost:25 and sending the message via SMTP would that remove calls to
> readconf_main.

It would remove the per-message reception startup configuration read.
The delivery cost would still be there.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy