Re: [exim] Retry rules don't seem to work in 4.88

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry rules don't seem to work in 4.88
On 02/02/17 09:09, Dan Liles wrote:
> I seem to be having a weird problem with retry rules in exim 4.88
>

> Right now when I send emails and I run the exinext command I see where they
> say the failure was the same time as the next retry.

Where there was a deferral or when it delivered ok?

> *                       lookup          F,4h,1h

> *                                               refused         F,1h,15m

> *                                               rcpt_4xx        F,4h,15m;

> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,2h,15m,1.5;

Did you flush the retry DB after modifying the rules?

> The time on my servers running exim is way off - I can't set it

Why? That, IMHO, is a very foolish way to operate a system. Many many
things make deeply hidden assumptions about things like time-and-date
being correct and meaningful,

> Could that affect it? Remember I'm taking our
> messages and bundling them to be inserted into the spool for now so I set
> the timestamp in the file.

Exim assumes it is in control of its spool. You are very likely to
confuse it. Don't do that.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy