Re: [exim] can't see email replies

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] can't see email replies
On 2017-02-01 13:02, Mike Brudenell wrote:

Mike> I think GNU Mailman 2.16 onwards offers this?

On 2017-02-01 09:26, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

Ian> Do you have an example of a list that already stoops to doing this?

Ian> Is the original sender preserved anywhere in the headers?

I'll answer my own questions:

Ian> Do you have an example of a list that already stoops to doing this?

The haskell.org mailing lists seem to be set up for this, for example
haskell-cafe@???. But the From: rewriting only happens for
messages from domains with restrictive DMARC policies. The rest of the
list messages (most of them, for now) are unaffected.

If we switch to From: rewriting on exim-users, can we *please* do it
that way, too?

Ian> Is the original sender preserved anywhere in the headers?

Mailman 2.1 (which runs haskell-cafe) seems to move the original address
into a Reply-To header. While this helps recipients running today's
MUAs to write a personal reply without too much copying and pasting, it
also obliterates the senders's preferences about such personal replies.

Ironically, in this respect the mechanism is similar to the practice
known as "reply-to munging", with which it is bound to conflict. I have
no idea what Mailman will do when asked to do both reply-to munging and
DMARC related rewriting.

>From my POV a specific new header such as X-DMARC-Original-From would be

better, even though that would require extra configuration and probably
new code in most recipients' MUAs. Again, please consider that a
request for the future unhappy switch time.