Re: [exim] can't see email replies

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Dan Liles
CC: exim-users, James Lovejoy
Subject: Re: [exim] can't see email replies
On 2017-01-31 at 22:09 -0600, Dan Liles wrote:
> I'm having a problem with this list - for some reason I'm not seeing replies
> to my answers in my inbox ( I have to look at the archive on the website ).

You had replies from: James Lovejoy <jlovejoy@???>

Gmail is rejecting those replies as they come through the @exim.org
servers, because James has published a DMARC policy telling them to do
so.

% dig +short -t txt _dmarc.lovejoytech.com
"v=DMARC1\;p=reject\;rua=mailto:admin@lovejoytech.com\;ruf=mailto:admin@lovejoytech.com\;adkim=s\;aspf=s"

A strict DMARC policy is appropriate for transactional emails from
systems which only ever mail to people, it's not appropriate for domains
with humans who send emails to mailing-lists.

Coincidentally, I've been considering talking with the other list admins
for exim.org [Bcc'd] about whether we should accept the current trend to
have mailing-lists rewrite messages so that they appear to come "from"
the list, instead of from the original poster, for DMARC users. This is
horrible for various reasons, but with large mail providers pushing
DMARC, we now have a choice:

1. Rewrite mails a lot, breaking DKIM, for messages through @exim.org
2. Block all messages from domains which publish DMARC policies.

Option 2 is the quick fix, but James has been helpful and I don't want
to block his mail. Yet, if he sends enough mail to exim-users, other
subscribers risk being automatically unsubscribed by mailman when
Gmail/Yahoo/etc reject enough of his mail and they're deemed to be
"bouncing addresses".

Option 1 basically means that we're committing to implementing DKIM
signing on exim.org itself, not necessarily a bad thing.

I wrote the mailman patch for option 2 a few years back, which some
other lists deployed. Since that time, various "not utterly horrible"
solutions for Option 1 have become available.

_Because_ new subscribers to exim-users are moderated by default, I'm
not slapping Option 2 in place immediately as a stop-gap; any current
subscribers could thus abuse the setup and cause mass unsubscriptions.
If anyone does that, we'll have to clean up afterwards and issue formal
complaints. I _think_ we'll be okay for the moment.

-Phil