Re: [exim] SMTP VRFY (was: gotcha: chunking and predata)

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
CC: John C Klensin
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP VRFY (was: gotcha: chunking and predata)

Hello,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 06:30:24 -0500 John C Klensin wrote:

[snip]

> There are also some complex questions as to whether a server is
> ever permitted to refuse to accept mail with a backward-pointing
> address of "<>". Unless tied to either the identifying
> information in EHLO/HELO or the client's IP address, it would
> imply that the server never accepts bounce messages or MDNs of
> any sort. I have probably missed some cases, but think that
> would be a terrible practice and would certainly violate
> assorted assumptions of SMTP.

You're missing for example this:
http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/exim-sign.html

Which is something we use/offer here.

And the client IP address (RBL, locally listed) is another factor.

RCPT TO might be ineffective, but I don't see me exposing VRFY/EXPN ever.

Christian
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/