Re: [exim] Unsigned messages from DKIM domains

Góra strony
Autor: Ivo Truxa
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Unsigned messages from DKIM domains

That's true only if you use the following assignment in the settings:
dkim_verify_signers = $dkim_signers

And that is exactly why I wrote I used the following assignment instead:
dkim_verify_signers = $sender_address_domain

With this setting Exim calls the DKIM ACL for every sender regardless whether there is a DKIM signature in the message or not. Trust me, I watch my logs, and also tested it meticulously, so I know it works exactly as I intended, and is being called also at emails without any DKIM signature at all. If you do not believe, have a look at my logs from just a few minutes ago (stripped of dates and ID's for briefness):

12:18:01 DKIM DEBUG 01: TEST RET=pass, D=seznam.cz, SG=seznam.cz, KT=1, SUB=0, S=beta, R=
12:23:24 DKIM DEBUG 10: RJCT ERR=fail, D=empowred.com, SG=empowred.com, KT=0, SUB=0, S=emkey3, R=bodyhash_mismatch
12:25:20 DKIM DEBUG 01: TEST RET=pass, D=seznam.cz, SG=seznam.cz, KT=1, SUB=0, S=beta, R=
12:34:26 DKIM DEBUG 14: ACPT P=some/undef , D=inetprint.cz
12:38:48 DKIM DEBUG 14: ACPT P=some/undef , D=volny.cz
12:38:57 DKIM DEBUG 14: ACPT P=some/undef , D=polytradece.cz
12:39:23 DKIM DEBUG 14: ACPT P=some/undef , D=smtp.dashofer.cz
12:39:30 DKIM DEBUG 14: ACPT P=some/undef , D=polytradece.cz

The records with "P=some/undef" at the bottom are exactly the results of the DKIM policy query done by the Perl script, and were called from within the DKIM ACL at messages with no DKIM signature.

Sounds interesting! Could you tell me how exactly? I searched the Exim documentation and checked also the C source code of respective Exim files (https://github.com/Exim/exim/blob/master/src/src/dkim.c and https://github.com/Exim/exim/tree/master/src/src/pdkim), but did not find any functions looking up the DKIM policy of the sender. Does Exim have some command for executing custom DNS lookups? If so, then I missed it, but so far I did not find any such possibility so am afraid the Perl solution was the simplest. Of course, it would be better implementing it directly in C into dkim.c or into pdkim.c, but that would take more time, and would require much longer testing before it could be released. I think the Perl script is a good intermittent solution before Exim's dkim code is completed with the policy lookup.