Re: [exim] Mail Delivery to Cell Phones as text

Góra strony
Autor: Mike Brudenell
Dla: Exim Users
Temat: Re: [exim] Mail Delivery to Cell Phones as text
Hi, John -

On 12 December 2016 at 03:28, Tech Gurus <linuxgurus1@???> wrote:

> Type 1 error
>
> xxxxxxxxxxx@mobiletomaildomain ( > R=dnslookup T=tls_remote_smtp defer
> (-53): retry time not reached for any host

When Exim tries to transmit a message to a site but the receiving site
defers accepting it with a 4xx response your Exim keeps the message in its
queue. A queue runner will try it again in a while, after a period defined
by the *retry* configuration section of your Exim config file.

See the chapter on *Retry configuration* in the Specification:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-retry_configuration.html

If a queue runner starts and checks the message but the period the message
has to wait before a retry is attempted hasn't yet passed then the queue
runner skips that message. Likewise if you try doing a manual queue run
using the "-q", "-R" or "-S" options to Exim.

See the chapter on *The Exim command line* in the Specification:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_exim_command_line.html

(It can also be helpful to search the net for the error you're seeing, such
as

exim "retry time not reached for any host"

which can quickly lead you to a posts from others who have seen and solved
the problem.)

Type 2 errors

> xxxxxxxxxxxx@mobiletomaildomain F=< > R=dnslookup T=tls_remote_smtp: SMTP
> error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM: > SIZE= : host smtp FQDN [
> ]: 550 5.1.0 <> sender rejected, a TLS session is required for maildomain
> spamfilter FQDN x.x.x.x], but the server did not offer TLS support

Assuming this is an entry from your own logs it's saying the remote server
permanently refused the message with a 5xx response code. The reason text
given seems to suggest that either your end or theirs is requiring the SMTP
connection be encrypted using TLS, but that the other server didn't offer
TLS. (I suspect it's your server complaining about the mobiletomaildomain
server: you might have your Exim configured to require a TLS encrypted
connection to the far server but it's not offering STARTTLS to you.)

As Jeremy says, it's difficult to say for sure as you've obfuscated and
mangled the log line so much; doing so really doesn't help us to help you!

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm