Re: [exim] QT=... DT=... vs timestamp

Author: Chris Siebenmann
To: Frank Elsner
CC: exim-users, cks, James Gibbard
Subject: Re: [exim] QT=... DT=... vs timestamp
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 10:45:49 +0100 James Gibbard wrote:
> > Broken? Nope. QT includes the time spent submitting the message to
> > Exim, which ENDS with the first logline, at the start of DT. Look at
> > syslog and determine the time that the cron was supposed to start and
> > I'd bet it was 4AM.
> >
> > Thus you probably have some issue on your mailserver that means
> > messages take a long time to submit at 4AM, rather than the QT time is
> > calculated incorrectly.
>
> Please note that is was a local submission (P=local). According to sa
> stats the host was 95% idle at this time.
>
> And in all cases, the minute of the current times makes the minutes of
> QT.

Is it possible that cron starts submitting the message the moment the
cron job starts (perhaps because it produces some initial output) and
only finishes submitting it when the cron job finishes some time later?

(On a quick test, this is what happens if you directly submit a local
message to Exim by using '/usr/sbin/sendmail addr' and then just letting
it sit for a while before typing the Ctrl-D to end submission and send
it. I wound up with 'QT=11m54s DT=0s', and the timestamp on the '<='
line was the point where I hit Ctrl-D.)

    - cks