Re: [exim] retry with a different router if delivery failed

Author: Felix Schwarz
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry with a different router if delivery failed

Am 01.10.2016 um 22:21 schrieb Jeremy Harris:
> You might be able to use a router "fallback_hosts" option as part of the
> solution, but it won't be all of it.

Ok, that might be an idea. I'll try to sketch out how this might fit in the
whole mix:
1. set "fallback_hosts" to "localhost" where Exim is listening as well
     (and allow "localhost")
2. add a new router before the "forward to backend" which has an additional
   condition to check if the message was submitted from localhost
     (the new router just delivers into a maildir)

Did I miss anything obvious?

One thing annoys me a bit: Exim has a "new" events mechanism. Just by the name
it sounds like I should be able to utilize that. So maybe "if <delivery
failure> and HOST == XXX" -> "run external command/use router Y"
Is that within the scope of Exim's events (maybe just not implemented yet)?
That would be perfect for us.

> Or you could set up ETRN.

Well, the backend system is a bit ... limited. Currently it supports POP and
(very basic) SMTP only...

Thank you very much,
Felix