Re: [exim] different server same domain

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] different server same domain
lorenzo tombini <lorenzo.tombini@???> (Mo 26 Sep 2016 16:08:45 CEST):
> hi all,
> i'm really new in exim.
>
> I'd like to configure to forward different account, belonging to the same
> domain, to different server.
> I mean,
> 1) when exim gets an email for bill@???, it must be forwarded to
> bill@??? (server X)
> 2) when exim gets an email for rose@???, it must be forwarded to
> rose@??? (server Y)
>
> How can i do that?
> could some one let me know the correct way?

There Is More Than One Way To Do It.
The most simple way is using aliases, in case routing for x.example.com
and y.example.com just works on your box.

If you serve example.com only and nothing else, you may just put
them into your /etc/aliases (provided that your Exim is set up as
usual).

    # /etc/aliases
    bill:   bill@???
    rose:   rose@???

If you serve several distinct domains, you can use an extra file per
domain (or put them alltogether into one single file)

Insert a new router in the proper place in your routers chain:

    <some name>:
        driver = redirect
        file = <config dir>/virtual/$domain.alias
        data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{<config dir>/virtual/$domain.aliases}}

Now you can maintain a distinct alias file for every domain you serve.
Alternativly

    <some name>:
        driver = redirct
        data = ${expand:${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch*@{<config dir>/virtual.aliases}}}

if you want to maintain a single alias file for all your forwardings:

    # virtual.aliases
    bill@???:   bill@???
    *@example.com:      $local_part@???

But please consider this mail as a hint only, consult the spec.txt for
more information and for completness. My hints may be even wrong.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann