Re: [exim] Maildir filenames

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir filenames
On 2016-08-04 07:51 +0100, Jonathan Gilpin wrote:

> Right now when exim delivers a message I get something like this:
>
> 2016-07-28 15:40:10 1bSmTo-000BMo-7n => firstname.lastname <firstname.lastname@??? <mailto:firstname.lastname@domain.com>> R=virtual_local_spamw T=virtual_local_spamw_delivery
>
> I’d like to get the filename writen in the logs too. e.g.
>
> /usr/local/mail/comapny/firstname.lastname@??? <mailto:usr/local/mail/comapny/firstname.lastname@???>/new/1456148110.H163737P32327.mail.fluent.ltd.uk
>
> Can the transport or appendfile entry be modified to add the filename above?

This is a work-around and not a proper solution, but:

Instead of delivering directly with Exim you can set up a pipe transport
through an external MDA which understands maildirs, and prints the file
name it creates. Exim will log the MDA output, and therefore the
filename. For instance, the safecat program fits this specification
exactly out of the box [1], and so does procmail with a bit of
configuration.

[1]
well, almost - you still need to trivially wrap it to fix its braindead
command line requirements.