Re: [exim] Verify outgoing email while using a smarthost

Góra strony
Autor: Mike Brudenell
Dla: Exim Users
CC: Jason
Temat: Re: [exim] Verify outgoing email while using a smarthost
Hi, Jason -

I'm at home and still pondering… :-(

*Important: *If you're injecting your messages directly rather than via
SMTP you'll have to check how your software reacts if it has a recipient or
message deferred. Well-behaved software will note the defer and hold the
message to try again later (do you *really* want that to happen?); however
other software may not expect to ever get a defer and will just abandon the
message/copy to that recipient.

There's a private option to the *dnslookup* router that might also be of
use: *fail_defer_domains*. This tells the router to defer rather than
decline. Check *17 The dnslookup router
<http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_dnslookup_router.html>*
for more information. Because you want it to apply to all domains you'd
want to assign it the value ***

However something I'm wondering is whether your *verify_address* router is
actually called at all when attempting a real delivery! I have a vague
feeling that it won't be unless you're doing a *verify = recipient* in an
ACL somewhere. (Can anyone else confirm this?)

I'm suspecting that without a *verify = recipient* then your routers aren't
getting triggered in verification mode at all, but instead going straight
into the actual routing. (Of course when you run Exim from the command line
and specify *-bv* you're forcibly running it in verify mode for the address
you give.)

You could check what's happening by running Exim in debug mode as a daemon
then sending it your test message and checking through the debugging output
to check the exact sequence of routers that's called, what tests each ACL
and router are doing and their outcomes. It's an incredibly powerful
technique:

exim -v -d+all -bd

Make sure you don't already have Exim running when you do this else this
test daemon won't be able to bind to the ports.

You could cut down the amount of logging data by using a different option
to *-d*; however I tend to like seeing all the gory details to make sure I
know exactly what's being checked/happening and in what order.

I have this (possibly incorrect) belief that Exim is so flexible that there
*will* be a way to do what you want. However it may not be using the route
we've started down, but require some sideways thinking. Anyone else want to
chip in?

Cheers,
Mike B-)