Re: [exim] address rewritting when "yielded unparseable addr…

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] address rewritting when "yielded unparseable address: empty address in address" happens
I keep feeling rather uneasy at the original example Arkadiusz mentioned:

^test@$primary_hostname   "$h_from:"        Ffs
^test@$primary_hostname   "<zupa@???>"   Ffs

I thought that the replacement string should be an email address, not the
(entire) value of a "From:" header? For example if the message's "From:"
header is

From: Mike Brudenell <mike.brudenell@???>

then the *$h_from* variable contains the text

Mike Brudenell <mike.brudenell@???>

so rewriting an address and replacing it with this text would surely be
wrong? Wouldn't it give something like:

From: Mike Brudenell < Mike Brudenell <mike.brudenell@???>>

So the 'workaround' is actually correct: using ${address:$h_from:} to
extract just the address part from the From header's value?

If, of course, there *is* a "From:" header…!

When there is no "From:" header within the message then *$h_from* is empty,
so replacing a valid address with an empty string. The defensive test
within the 'workaround' presumably guards against this, I think, by
comparing the value against the empty string… It tests if the *$h_from* value
is not the empty string and goes ahead with the replacement, whereas if the
variable is empty then the 'fail' forces replacement in the first rule not
to happen so drops through to the second, fallback, rule.

If I've got those right, then Exim complaining about rewriting the address
to an empty or malformed string is actually rather helpful.

Cheers,
Mike B-)