Re: [exim] rDNS lookup problem

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] rDNS lookup problem
Hi, Andy -

A vague memory stirs…

Check the *Exim Specification* in the *String Expansions* chapter and see
the text for the *$host_lookup_deferred* variable. There you'll read
(emphasis mine):

Looking up a host’s name from its IP address consists of more than just a
single reverse lookup. *Exim checks that a forward lookup of at least one
of the names it receives from a reverse lookup yields the original IP
address. If this is not the case, Exim does not accept the looked up
name(s)*, and $host_lookup_failed is set to “1”. Thus, being able to find a
name from an IP address (for example, the existence of a PTR record in the
DNS) is not sufficient on its own for the success of a host name lookup. If
the reverse lookup succeeds, but there is a lookup problem such as a
timeout when checking the result, the name is not accepted, and
$host_lookup_deferred is set to “1”. See also $sender_host_name.

Thank you for not obfuscating the IP address, by the way… It meant I could
check both reverse and forward lookups for you, and find that although you
have a reverse lookup:

% nslookup 93.191.32.251
Server: 144.32.128.242
Address: 144.32.128.242#53

Non-authoritative answer:
251.32.191.93.in-addr.arpa name = asigra2.ldex.co.uk.

32.191.93.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns1.pingnetworks.co.uk.
32.191.93.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns2.pingnetworks.co.uk.
ns1.pingnetworks.co.uk internet address = 93.191.32.131
ns2.pingnetworks.co.uk internet address = 93.191.32.146

you don't seem to have a forward lookup:

% nslookup asigra2.ldex.co.uk
Server: 144.32.128.242
Address: 144.32.128.242#53

** server can't find asigra2.ldex.co.uk: NXDOMAIN

So I'd guess this might be causing Exim to flag its reverse lookup as
having failed?

Cheers,
Mike B-)