Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID

Author: Wolfgang Breyha
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID
Mike Brudenell wrote on 03/06/16 11:22:
> *Scenario 1*
> Someone here complains that an external recipient hasn't received one of
> their emails. To let the downstream postmaster definitively identify the
> message in their logs I'd normally supply them with the RFC5322.Message-Id
> from our logs.

I give them the answer their systems gave me with "250 Ok" logged with C=....,
the envelope addresses used and the exact timestamp when their host took
responsibility.

According to RFCs there is no guarantee that a message-id exists. And there is
at least one common MUA known for ab^H^Hreusing message-ids under certain
conditions. Not talking about broken syntax of message-ids.

If the envelope got split on your host while delivering to multiple recipients
you end up with several messages having the same message-id as well.

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha@???> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria