Re: [exim] SRS with Exim: feelings regarding srs_alt?

Author: Felix Schwarz
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SRS with Exim: feelings regarding srs_alt?

Am 17.05.2016 um 18:24 schrieb Jeremy Harris:
>> Btw: From my point of view it would be sufficient to maintain on of the
>> existing libraries
>
> Take over another codebase? Using what resources?

Well, as Heiko mentioned he intended to work on that. And I guess using an
existing library which more or less works so far seems to be less work than
writing it from scratch.

>> Would you mind to explain which advantage you get by integrating the code
>> directly into exim?
>
> At least one distro is not wanting to include a "dead" library.

Right. However if someone is willing to put work into the problem that means a
library wouldn't "unmaintained" anymore.
(Just to be clear: I'm not trying to push a certain direction and I trust you
follow the way which makes most sense/is most fun to you. Just being curious
why an integrated solution is preferred by Heiko.)

> Nobody has commented yet on the implementation done purely in exim.conf
> using native Exim string-expansion facilities.

Personally I prefer to keep my exim.conf as small as possible. There is enough
complexity already (also partly because I failed extract common conditions
into variables) so adding a lot of exim conditions/"code" there is not very
attractive. At the same time I like an "integrated" approach and the
directives added with the srs_alt option lool nice to me.

However it's a great testament again that Exim is so flexible that you can
implement (a simple version of) SRS without external code...

Felix