Re: [exim] Handling unadvertised AUTH

Author: Phillip Carroll
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Handling unadvertised AUTH
On 4/29/2016 4:12 PM, Ted Cooper wrote:
> On 30/04/16 08:38, Phillip Carroll wrote:
>> > Any help appreciated (including better ideas).
>
> Sounds like the perfect job for fail2ban.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at fail2ban some time back as something I might run on my site,
but ultimately decided against. If I understand correctly, that utility
rummages through various logs looking for problems and automatically
applies solutions. Seems a rather roundabout way of dealing with my
issue, whose parameters are already well known, and exim/smtp-specific.
I had in mind more of a rifle approach rather than a hand grenade.
(sorry for the violent metaphors)

But, I am always somewhat leery of AI approaches to server management.
However, maybe I have the wrong impression of fail2ban.

Phil Carroll