[exim] tls_advertise_hosts

Góra strony
Autor: Richard Clayton
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [exim] tls_advertise_hosts

from the fine documentation

      When Exim has been built with TLS support, it advertises the
      availability of the STARTTLS command to client hosts that match
      tls_advertise_hosts, but not to any others. The default value of
      this option is unset, which means that STARTTLS is not advertised
      at all. This default is chosen because you need to set some other
      options in order to make TLS available, and also it is sensible
      for systems that want to use TLS only as a client.

from README.UPDATING about #4.87

      <void>

from doc/Changelog

JH/18 Bug 1709: When built with TLS support, the tls_advertise_hosts
      option now defaults to "*" (all hosts).  The variable is now
      available when not built with TLS, default unset, mainly to enable
      keeping the testuite sane.

      If a server certificate is not supplied (via tls_certificate) an
      error is logged, and clients will find TLS connections fail on
      startup.  Presumably they will retry in-clear. Packagers of Exim
      are strongly encouraged to create a server certificate at
      installation time.

- From my logfile (see, I read all sorts of things)

      Warning: No server certificate defined; TLS connections will fail.
      Suggested action: either install a certificate or change
      tls_advertise_hosts option

and from a Yahoo account of mine talking to my server which I have just
updated to #4.87

      Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
      Deferred: 403 4.7.0 TLS handshake failed

I can find nothing in RFC3207 saying that Yahoo's behaviour is incorrect
and much in RFC5321 to say it is entirely correct.

So my question is:

      on exactly what specification or belief is the statement
      "Presumably they will retry in-clear" based ??

      (because if it's Yahoo's error I have some influence there) ...

At the very least BTW there should be something in README.UPDATING about
changes that impact existing configurations :-(

- --
richard                                                  Richard Clayton

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a        Benjamin
little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.    Franklin