Re: [exim] Exim 4.84_2 #1 : WARNING: purging the environment…

Author: Always Learning
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.84_2 #1 : WARNING: purging the environment.

Hi Denis,

> I suspect the exploit goes something like this:
>
> exim calls perl routine(s) which calls external programs. Malicious
> user manipulates the search path etc so malicious user's external
> program(s) are called instead of the system versions. This is all
> done as a privileged user, so malicious user now has a shell running
> as that privileged user. Your system will shortly become toast...

There is no mention of perl_startup in any Exim configuration file.

${perl{...... is never used.

The danger appears to be from within Perl, as shown in Chapter 12.

    my $lp = Exim::expand_string('$local_part');

It would be nice if Exim refused sub-routine calls as shown in the above
example. Perhaps a new configuration parameter

    perl_allow_subroutines = NO ?

Thus
    keep_environment =

promotes safety ?

Thank you.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.