Re: [exim] Exim 4.84_2 #1 : WARNING: purging the environment…

Góra strony
Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
Dla: Exim
Temat: Re: [exim] Exim 4.84_2 #1 : WARNING: purging the environment.
Hi,

Always Learning <exim@???> (So 17 Apr 2016 05:02:14 CEST):

> Hi,
>
> Exim 4.84_2 #1 built 24-Mar-2016 16:26:05 :
>
> My MTAs on Centos 6 were updated a few days ago and now Logwatch is
> inundated with
>
> " WARNING: purging the environment.
> Suggested action: use keep_environment and add_environment. "
>
> Please may I ask what 'Environment' ?
> and why was it necessary to introduce this strangeness ?

Didn't you find some release notes?
There should be explained why that change was necessary.

And, yes, a limited understanding of the term "environment" is
supposed.

> Before the update Exim was working fine.

Probably it's still working fine. But there is a small chance that
some parts do not work anymore as you'd expect it, because the may
depend on environment variables. And for security reasons Exim purges
all these variables now.

With

    keep_environemnt =

you agree with the built-in default.

> (1) Are:-
>
>       keep_environment =
>       add_environment =

>     mutually incompatible ?

> (2) Any recommendations for the specific contents of 'keep' and 'add' ?

Again, there should be release notes and the spec file, giving some
explanation. Please feel free to give us hints on how to make it more
comprehensible.

> Keeping Exim's configuration standard on all MTAs, Exim on Centos 5
> shares the same configuration files as Exim on Centos 6.
>
> Now Centos 5's Exim, Exim version 4.63 #1 built 28-Apr-2011 07:10:51,
> stops running because:
>
> " Exim configuration error in line 62 of /data/config/exim/exim01.basic:
> main option "keep_environment" unknown
> " exim is stopped "
>
> That's life !

Yes, sorry for that.

But we had to introduce that incompatible change. And you should upgrade
your version, for security reasons.

Or try some MACRO magic

.ifndef VERY_OLD_EXIM
keep_environment =
.endif

And for your old Exim you add -DVERY_OLD_EXIM to the command line.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann