Re: [exim] 4.87 and acl_check_data

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4.87 and acl_check_data
On 13/04/16 08:24, Evgeniy Berdnikov wrote:
> remote_smtp:
> driver = smtp
> message_size_limit = ${if > {$max_received_linelength}{998} {1}{0}}
>
> First, it contradicts to my proposal to deliver DSNs regardless of its
> conformance to RFC. Such check should be done at a message reception time,
> in acl_check_data (for SMTP) or acl_not_smtp (for non-SMTP), not at a time
> of message ejection to the net.

That would affect reception of such messages, but not the sending of
internally-generated ones.

> Moreover, anyone can configure and use
> custom transport (LMTP, for example), without such limitation, then mails
> would be passed or bounced depending which transport is used for address.

Yes, the flexibility is there. You can generate broken configurations
in many ways, but I don't think that justifies the conclusion that
the restriction should be removed from the example config in the
distribution:

> So I think such condition for remote_smtp transport is really ugly,
> it should be removed from Exim distribution.

You might be asking for the enforcement to be built-in in the Exim code,
and not exposed by being implemented in the configuration; the downside
of that is that you _cannot_ remove the restriction.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy