Re: [exim] MUA sends in envelope addresses in "user@host"@ho…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] MUA sends in envelope addresses in "user@host"@host form when using authentication
Angelin Lalev <lalev.angelin@???> (Sa 26 Mär 2016 07:40:03 CET):
> Greetings,
>
> I have question about Exim installation, which is set up to work with
> several virtual domains, whose users and passwords are under
> /etc/vmail/. Under /etc/vmail there is one subfolder for each domain,
> containing passwd files in dovecot (?) format. The configuration uses
> dovecot for external SMTP authentication.
> Dovecot is set so it relies on domain name to determine the folder
> under which to look for the passwd files.
> Authentication works, but there is weird problem. When I set any MUA
> to pass the user name for authentication as user@domain, the MUA sends
> something like the following message. It seems to me that it just
> treats the while user@domain combination as the user part of the mail
> address and so forms the MAIL FROM part of the envelope.

It's caused by submission mode. Exim supposes that the authenticating id
is the local_part only, and appends the default domain.

Read about control = submisson and and the various options about setting
the sender information. There should be an submission mode option "domain".

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann