Re: [exim] log_selector and SMTP authentication

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] log_selector and SMTP authentication
On 05/03/16 15:12, Luciano Rinetti wrote:
>    I'd like to log the SMTP crdentials used by users in order to access my
>    Exim4 SMTP Server.
>    I try to add the "+smtp_mailauth" in the log_selector of the Exim4
>    config file
>    but i am not sure this is the correct way.

That can be part of what's needed, depending on what use your
configuration makes of AUTH= arguments on MAIL RROM: smtp
commands.

What you're mainly asking about though is the AUTH smtp command,
which is separate from the above. Info from that is logged
in the A= element of the message acceptance line by default -
however, the useful part is only the thing selected by the
server_set_id option of the authenticator. Usually this
will be an account name, but it depends on the config.

That covers messages accepted once auth has succeded.
For auth attempts that fail a different line is
logged, again carrying the server_set_id value.

The password is not logged.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy