Re: [exim] Exim proliferation

Author: Always Learning
To: Exim
CC: Todd Rinaldo
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim proliferation
On Sun, 2016-01-31 at 19:30 +0000, Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> I was surprised to find these survey numbers tonight. Given Exim is no longer a default install on many distros, I was surprised to find that Exim constitutes 53% of the mail servers on the internet. The numbers are a little skewed given some banners didn't report their mail server, but it's still impressive.
>
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201510/mxsurvey.html
>
> Less impressive is that only 20% of exim servers are up to date :(

I think your assertion, that many Exim installations are out-of-date, is
probably wrong.

I run Centos (a Red Hat derivative) versions 5 and 6. The Exim for:-

Centos 5.11 is 4.63
Centos 6.7 is 4.72

Whilst these versions are not the latest, they are for security and bug
purposes certainly "up-to-date" because the Epel Repository
retrospectively patch these versions.

"Latest" and "up-to-date" do not always share the identical meaning :-)

Regards,

Paul
A happy and contented Exim user.

England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.
--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.