Re: [exim] exim still accepting email after 550 from acl_che…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [exim] exim still accepting email after 550 from acl_check_helo

> On 12 Jan 2016, at 17:00, Patrick von der Hagen <patrick.hagen@???> wrote:
>

> (of course the checks could just be moved to acl_smtp_rcpt instead).

Indeed. And, there are several reasons for wanting to delay EHLO checks:

1. It allows you to determine who the intended recipient is.
2. It allows you to accept email for postmaster, eg if someone is asking why they can’t get their mail through. Or some other address by arrangement, when trying to resolve a problem.
3. It lets you log more. I’m increasingly delaying rejections to post-data when I can, so that my reject log can capture message headers.
4. And, news to me, the ACLs may not even be called!

I do one thing in the HELO ACL, which is to log the connection. I guess I should move that to another place.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex