Re: [exim] Preventing outbound reply to address rewrite

Author: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Preventing outbound reply to address rewrite

> On 23 Dec 2015, at 00:55, Jon Gerdes <gerdesj@???> wrote:
>
>> How do I prevent an outbound e-mail's address from being rewritten?
>
> You can’t.

Oh, wait. That depends who’s doing the rewriting. I understood The Doctor to be asking for help with a local configuration. All rewriting is done in the "rewrite" section, unless you’re doing something fancy with headers_add and headers_remove.

If the problem is upstream, perhaps with the sending MUA or an intermediate server, then you can manipulate headers based on the authenticated_id, for example, and force them to the value that you want.

On the other hand, you want to prevent rewriting *after* the email has left your server, there isn’t a general fix. You can’t make headers read-only, but it’s unusual for recipients change these headers, unless they’re mailing lists.

I guess that, if you’re looking at an email that’s left your server, been rewritten by a mailing list, and then come back: then you could rewrite the header how you want it. But that won’t affect the copy that’s gone to third party recipients.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex