Re: [exim] -qqff-like behaviour without the queuerunner?

Autor: John Burnham
A: Maarten van Baarsel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] -qqff-like behaviour without the queuerunner?
-R suit your needs ?

-R<rsflags> <string>

The <rsflags> may be empty, in which case the white space before the string
is optional, unless the string is f, ff, r, rf, or rff, which are the
possible values for <rsflags>. White space is required if <rsflags> is not
empty.

This option is similar to -q with no time value, that is, it causes Exim to
perform a single queue run, except that, when scanning the messages on the
queue, Exim processes only those that have at least one undelivered
recipient address containing the given string, which is checked in a
case-independent way. If the <rsflags> start with r, <string> is
interpreted as a regular expression; otherwise it is a literal string.

If you want to do periodic queue runs for messages with specific
recipients, you can combine -R with -q and a time value. For example:

exim -q25m -R @special.domain.example

This example does a queue run for messages with recipients in the given
domain every 25 minutes. Any additional flags that are specified with -q
are applied to each queue run.

Once a message is selected for delivery by this mechanism, all its
addresses are processed. For the first selected message, Exim overrides any
retry information and forces a delivery attempt for each undelivered
address. This means that if delivery of any address in the first message is
successful, any existing retry information is deleted, and so delivery
attempts for that address in subsequently selected messages (which are
processed without forcing) will run. However, if delivery of any address
does not succeed, the retry information is updated, and in subsequently
selected messages, the failing address will be skipped.

If the <rsflags> contain f or ff, the delivery forcing applies to all
selected messages, not just the first; frozen messages are included when ff
is present.

The -R option makes it straightforward to initiate delivery of all messages
to a given domain after a host has been down for some time. When the SMTP
command ETRN is accepted by its ACL (see chapter 43
<http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-access_control_lists.html>),
its default effect is to run Exim with the -R option, but it can be
configured to run an arbitrary command instead.