Re: [exim] Next Exim release

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Next Exim release
On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 01:41:57PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> "Ready" is a question only you can answer -- this is a fairly
> large complex of changes and the standards are (deliberately)
> fairly clear that advertising SMTPUTF8 commits you to the whole
> collection. I'd certainly prefer to have it wait for a bit than
> to have it done in haste.

I'll second the "not in haste" suggestion. In Postfix, it took a
year of progressively more polished releases to go from an initial
code contribution to "fit for stable release" SMTPUTF8 support.

Even the TLS internals needed a tweak, because DNS-ID in certificates
is the A-label form, so the input domain is converted if necessary,
prior to certificate matching.

--
    Viktor.