Re: [exim] Next Exim release

Top Pagina
Auteur: John C Klensin
Aan: Jeremy Harris, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Next Exim release

--On Friday, December 04, 2015 12:55 +0000 Jeremy Harris
<jgh@???> wrote:

> On 30/11/15 22:34, Jeremy Harris wrote:
>> What do people particularly want worked on in the remaining
>> time?
>
> A quick poll on currently Experimental features:
>
> Who is using any of
>
> Events
> Redis
> Proxy protocol
> Socks
> Dane
> International
> DSN-extra
>
> Anyone support or speak against any of those moving
> to the mainline?

If you think you are ready, I'd like to see what I think you are
referring to as International (SMTPUTF8 advertisement,
acceptance, and use; non-ASCII LHS in addresses; IDNA2008
handling of UTF-8 domain name labels; non-ASCII trace fields;
filter and ACL interfaces able to accommodate UTF-8; and RFC
6533 NDNs) as soon as possible, if only to permit Exim to be
used as a submission server or secondary MX relay system for
SMTPUTF8 ("EAI") messages.

"Ready" is a question only you can answer -- this is a fairly
large complex of changes and the standards are (deliberately)
fairly clear that advertising SMTPUTF8 commits you to the whole
collection. I'd certainly prefer to have it wait for a bit than
to have it done in haste.

On the other hand, I believe that, of everything on your list,
this i18n stuff is the most likely to turn into a "can't use (or
even continue to use) any MTA that does not support that
feature" showstopper in the relatively short term, at least in
some countries.

     john