Re: [exim] charset of "fail" messages

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] charset of "fail" messages

[
> >a problem, some clarification from him might help.
> >

> Yes, NDNs, of the variety that Exim sends in response to “fail text "..."”
> filters, are what my inquiry concerns.

A non-delivery-notification (MIME multipart/report content type
RFC3462) consists of (up to) three parts:

    1. Required initial free-form body part, this can use UTF-8
       without any need for EAI.

    2. Required message/delivery-status machine readable part,
       this requires EAI for non-ASCII content. (RFC3464).

    3. Optional returned message or message headers.  If
       the returned message has UTF-8 headers, it may need
       to encapsulated as an EAI message/global

My interpretation of the question was that you wanted UTF-8 in the
"part 1", body, in which case *in principle* you could have raw
UTF-8 there, and a "charset=utf-8" attribute for the enclosing MIME
part, provided that the code that generates bounces (in this case
in Exim) allows you configure the charset and associated content.

> I believe my inquiry has been answered satisfactorily: in order to have NDNs
> in, e.g., Russian I need either to turn on SMTPUTF8 or transcode the
> multi-byte characters down to some US-ASCII representation … the latter of
> which would really be more accommodating the issue rather than addressing
> it.

Well, it still depends on which part of the NDN you want in (e.g.)
Russian.

--
    Viktor.