Re: [exim] charset of "fail" messages

Author: John C Klensin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] charset of "fail" messages

--On Friday, November 27, 2015 7:10 PM +0000 Viktor Dukhovni
<exim-users@???> wrote:

>> I'm not sure I completely understand what is happening here,
>> but, if the text you cite is part of a non-delivery
>> notification, a body part would have to have content-type
>> message/global-* to contain non-ASCII (specifically UTF-8;
>> there are deliberately no other options) information. And
>> one is not supposed to produce those notifications unless
>> SMTPUTF8 is in use. See RFC 6533 for more information.
>
> The message/global MIME type is only needed for encapsulating
> messages with non-ASCII headers. MIME body parts with UTF-8
> content have been around long before EAI.

Of course they have. Non-ASCII content/ body parts were a
primary criterion for what became MIME, even before the
multimedia requirements started being considered.

> I receive such messages from my father (in Russian) quite
> regularly:
> His email address is ASCII, and the subject is RFC 2047
> encoded, so EAI is entirely out of scope.

Again, as intended, even though some of the stronger advocates
of EAI hope that it will gradually eliminate the need for RFC
2047 encoded-words.

But, as I understood the question, it had to do with delivery
failure messages (NDNs), possibly even ones that were intended
to be machine-processed. And that is where SMTPUTF8 and
extended notification formats come in.

It appears to me that you, Jason, and I are understanding the
issue and question differently. If Felipe still thinks there is
a problem, some clarification from him might help.

      john