Re: [exim] EXIM 'Completed' hook'

Author: Gary Stainburn
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] EXIM 'Completed' hook'
On Sunday 01 November 2015 12:25:38 Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 30/10/15 20:37, Brent Jones wrote:
> > Was the experimental_events slated to be called 'stable', I thought I
> > recalled something to that effect :)
>
> I've not been thinking of moving it to mainline yet, but if there's
> enough interest in its use I will. Please speak up.
>
> Also, are there any additional event types needed?
>

> There's an outstanding problem with the stability and visibility
> of any variables created in ACLs called from events. This would
> need resolution before going mainline, and careful documentation
> of the visibility rules.
> --
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

Yes please.

I haven't looked at the events system for EXIM but it does sound usefull, and
exactly what I need.

I use our mail server for distributed processs management in a number of
internal and external ways. This includes using Postgresql with EXIM for data
management, and PIPE delivery processes for more complex matters.

For process completion and tidy-up, as well as error analysis so far, I've had
to resort to end-of-day batch processing to look for the 'Completed' log
entries and then perform post-process events. If I could hook into this in
real time it would make a number of my processes cleaner.

I am also implementing my own SPAM filtering system based email patterns and a
number of old email addresses which anre known SPAM honeypots. Being able to
hook into the 'Conpleted' event would give me more flexibility in my analysis

Gary