Re: [exim] EXIM not detecting virus emails

Author: Gary Stainburn
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] EXIM not detecting virus emails
On Thursday 22 October 2015 10:32:06 Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 22/10/15 10:14, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > I'm having real problems with virus emails getting through my mail
> > server. My initial config consists of:
> >
> > av_scanner = clamd:/var/run/clamd.exim/clamd.sock
>
> Clam updates running properly?
> Tested with a known one (eg EICAR) ?

Clamd is up and running, hence the clamd.exim entries. My concern is that it
isn't being called for all suitable messages, i.e. not the ones I'm
submitting.

I am testing with eicar and they are getting delivered. I am doing this
using:

[gary@ollie2 ~]$ echo test|mutt gary@??? -a eicar.txt -s "EICAR
TEST"

On top of this live virus emails are getting through.

> > I copied the syntax directly from the EXIM docs and amended to have:
>
> What was wrong with the aveserver scanner interface?

The avescanner needed the run file /var/run/aveserver. I could not find
anything like that file on my server. However, I did manage to convert an old
sophie script to work with Kaspersky.

That is why I thought I'd try that. However, because of the error mesage from
EXIM, the script isn't getting working.

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager