Re: [exim] Segfault in 4.86 (mail queue handleing)

Author: Heiko Schlichting
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Segfault in 4.86 (mail queue handleing)
> On 05/10/15 11:06, Heiko Schlichting wrote:
> > I strongly disagree. The lastest exim release should always usable and
> > stable. We had several releases in the past just correcting one or few
> > bugs (e.g. exim releases 4.84, 4.71, 4.66, 4.65).
>
> I'm not sure if you're disagreeing about the numbering or the
> need for testing.

I expect a 4.87 release if the mail queue handling bug which causes the
crashes is fully tested. Maybe a one-critical-bugfix-release, so no need to
wait for testing new features and other things.

> It is unfortunately the case that mistakes will be made,
> bugs will creep in, and testing will be insufficient to
> discover some bugs.

Yes, this happens in the past and will happen again. If a bug is so severe
that the latest release is not production ready there was critical bugfix
releases for exim just fixing one bug in the past. Which was a good thing
in my opinion.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting                Freie Universität Berlin
heiko.schlichting@???   Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung
Telefon +49 30 838-54327         Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327         14195 Berlin