Re: [exim] Doc Query : listextract

Author: Always Learning
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Doc Query : listextract

On Thu, 2015-09-17 at 19:15 +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> It's nothing to do with the "&" and everything to do with the data
> containing the list separator, as Jeremy mentioned.
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_exim_run_time_configuration_file.html#SECTempitelis indicates that:
>
> "For example, this list contains three items, the second of which is
> empty:
>
> senders = user1@domain : : user2@domain
>
> Note: There must be white space between the two colons, as otherwise
> they are interpreted as representing a single colon data character (and
> the list would then contain just one item)"
>
> The two commas between "& Mailer" and "/bin/bash" don't represent an
> empty item between those two strings. Rather, they represent a single
> "escaped" comma which forms part of the string "& Mailer,/bin/bash".

Thank you Adam for the impressive inspirational clarity. A double
field-separator transforms into a single character - unless there is an
intervening space in which a separate null entity exists.

Thanks too to Jeremy and to Ian. I appreciate everyone's help.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.