[exim] Remote host foo closed connection in response to init…

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Remote host foo closed connection in response to initial connection
I see this logged quite often (up to half of the time) when I connect to
my smarthost, trying to push outgoing mail.

Then next time (when I run the queue) it's just fine.

What could be going on? This has me running in circles :(

P.S. my smarthost is NOT gmail; in fact I have shell access on the
smarthost (but not as root). I know it runs sendmail 8.14.9.