Re: [exim] using port 587 for submission?

Author: hw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] using port 587 for submission?

Am 03.09.2015 um 15:12 schrieb Jeremy Harris:
> On 03/09/15 13:49, hw wrote:
>> begin authenticators
>>
>> PLAIN:
>>   driver                     = plaintext
>>   server_set_id              = $auth2
>>   server_prompts             = :
>>   server_condition           = ${if pam{$2:$3}{1}{0}}
>>   server_advertise_condition = ${if def:tls_cipher }

>> Now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong.
>
> One possibility is that the client is trying to use a LOGIN method.
> Set up both.
>
> Run your Exim daemon with debug cmdline option(s) and watch the
> processing during a test.

After making /etc/shadow readable by the mail group, it kinda works. Is
it really necessary to change permission on /etc/shadow?

"Kinda works" means that I can now send messages via port 587 without
any authentication at all, with unencrypted authentication and when
using STARTTLS. Authentication and encryption must be required, though.