Re: [exim] per recipient domain throttling

Author: Julian Bradfield
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] per recipient domain throttling
Thanks to Chris S and Jeremy H for the helpful replies.

Just to clarify - this is my own system, not a university system. I
signed up to exim-users with my university address because I wanted to
configure my own system with exim :-)

But I guess I could run another server on a different IPv6 address
(assuming that Google rate-limit individual addresses, rather than
address blocks as I would do!).

>> One of my users has her mail forwarded to gmail, and since gmail
>> (correctly) recognizes that lots of it is spam, it rate-limits me in
>> my attempts to send it
>
> A) be more careful about accepting this spam in the first place

Not really on. I don't want my system deciding what's spam. I do
greylisting, but everything else addressed to me (with occasional
sporadic spam-flood exceptions) comes to me for manual review, with
varying degrees of attention.
I do this because I'm one of those people who doesn't trust anybody's
mail system, not even mine.
My users (all two of them) think the same.

> B) get complicated with a redirect router early in the chain,
>    conditioned on gmail being the target and, via an acl expansion
>    returning the result of a ratelimt condition; redirecting
>    to :defer:

Thanks, that sounds like the hint I was looking for.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.