Re: [pcre-dev] Powerpc optimisation

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: Frederic Bonnard
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Powerpc optimisation
Hi,

If I understand correctly, stalled-cycles-backend means the current instruction is depend on the result of another instruction. High stalling is not surprising for a JIT code, because the most frequent instructions are loads and branches. Optimizations eliminate most of the arithmetic part of a program. It seems 25% of all instructions was branches. Actually I don't see anything unusual here, IPC is low, but that is also usual for JIT code.

Is it possible to collect cache hit/miss and memory (not cache) load stall statistics? It would be interesting to compare this to x86, but I am not sure we can draw any conclusions from that. Memory dependency and cache statistics would be more important.

Regards,
Zoltan