[exim] implementing a spamgourmet substitute with exim

Author: Nick
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] implementing a spamgourmet substitute with exim
Hi,

I'd like to be able to run something like spamgourmet's disposable email
address service through my own exim server, on Debian Wheezy. I'm
looking help and/or prior art, as I suspect this has been done before,
but so far cannot find anything specific searching the internet or the
exim lists.

So far I've been doing this by manually editing /etc/aliases and adding
entries such as these:

foo.fakestem: alice
bar.fakestem: alice
alpha.fakestem2: bob
beta.fakestem2: bob
apple.fakestem3: alice bob

However this is becoming unweildy, and my (non-technical) users can't
create their own aliases.

The main thing I want to implement is to allow delivery to addresses
with a certain local part and a valid prefix to act as aliases for one
or more real users. These aliases route via some logic which decide if
the prefix is allowing mail and thereby deliver or reject messages.
Ideally this would also have a reasonably simple way for non-technical
users to control which prefixes are enabled, perhaps by emailing
commands to the prefix addresses.

Spamgourmet allows a number as part of the prefix to limit the number of
emails delivered before the address stops delivering. This count can be
reset by the user. This would also be handy.

I do know about the simple method for routing any arbitrary prefix to
local user addresses (local_part_prefix = ...;
local_part_prefix_optional), but

a) this exposes the real user name in the disposable address - just
remove the prefix and you have a non-disposable address
b) wont permit with shared aliases which route to several users
c) there is no fine control for specific prefixes - or at least, not
without the help of a unix admin

I suspect maildrop/procmail/sieve or plain exim filters or router
configurations will be able to do what I want, but I'm not a huge exim
expert and I'd rather not re-invent a solution if one exists already.

Thanks!

Nick

See also http://www.spamgourmet.org