Re: [exim] saving mails to a file

Author: Jim Pazarena
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] saving mails to a file

On 2015-08-01 1:10 PM, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 01/08/15 20:51, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>> no, but it doesn't 'write' to the file.. only reads. And it looks for
>> the traditional 'begin ...' and 'end' of the uuencoded file. It deletes
>> the file if it gets to the end.
>> and any section outside of the begin .. end is ignored.
>>
>> Thinking about a race within my routine doesn't seem possible
>> because it IS a read only routine against the exim 'save'd file.
>
> ... apart from that deletion you only just mentioned

correct, except in this situation, if exim was writing to the file
precisely when the routine deleted it, presumably the new exim
creation would merely be non-existent and lost.

> and you still have not answered this.

no, each server runs it's own exim, and all deliveries are to locally
mounted drives. Not NFS.

> Overall, would you be better off with a pipe delivery?

Perhaps, but then with multiple deliveries it would be my own pipe
mechanism which would have to observe locking, as each message would
need to be run sequentially. More complicated than letting the present
set up. Altho when a race happens, everything gets complicated anyways.