Re: [exim] stupid hosts using bogus rcpt to

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] stupid hosts using bogus rcpt to
On 8 Jul 2015, at 00:38, Joshua Schulenberg <joshua.schulenberg@???> wrote:

> I haven't been able to find an answer to this on Google. We have been
> running into these mailing lists that are using bogus RCPT TOs for their
> mailing list subscribes. The problem is that exim is blocking them.
>
> ex: /var/log/exim_rejectlog:2015-07-07 12:07:04 H=smtp.centene.com
> [204.145.114.242]:55605
> sender verify fail for <noreply@???>: response to "RCPT
> TO:<noreply@???>" from
> cust35787-2.in.mailcontrol.com [208.87.234.190]
> was: 550 5.7.1 <noreply@???>... Relaying denied. IP
> name possibly forged [216.224.162.13]

Looks to me like you're using a callout verification method here - which, unless you control all the 'moving parts' being queried, you shouldn't do. The reasons are widely discussed on this list and elsewhere, but if you stop doing that, you will not suffer the problem.

'noreply' addresses aren't bogus as such; they're simply designed as send-only. This is *extremely* common.

So, to fix your problem, remove the 'verify = callout' config in the appropriate ACL.

Graeme