Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on TLS

Góra strony
Autor: Phil Pennock
Dla: AC
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on TLS
On 2015-07-03 at 19:16 -0700, AC wrote:
> I have exim configured to use STARTTLS and to authenticate a sending
> user with SASL. It works, I'm able to send email via my server from a
> client with a valid authentication password. However, what I see after
> I send a message is the error/warning:
>
> SMTP command timeout on TLS connection from <remote host>

exim -bP smtp_receive_timeout

That should default to five minutes, not five or ten seconds. Perhaps
your configuration sets the value differently?

I suspect that you've got a config which lowers smtp_receive_timeout to
avoid having abusive clients hold open connections, but the client
software which you're using is holding open the SMTP connection in case
there's another mail to send, and is holding it open for longer than
your lowered smtp_receive_timeout value.

In which case, either raise smtp_receive_timeout or ignore this
log-message for known clients, as it's doing what it's supposed to do.

If you're not lowering smtp_receive_timeout but it really is triggering
only five or ten seconds after the mail was accepted, then we have a bug
and more details would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
-Phil