Re: [exim] mail gateway requirements

Author: Paul Havinden
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] mail gateway requirements
>On 03.07.2015 11:58, Sujit Acharyya-choudhury wrote:
>> We have seen recently two DoS attacks on our mail gateways, but the
>> machines and Exim coped well. Our network administrator suggested to
>> block ping, but from my previous experience elsewhere it cause some
>> problem - I cannot recall exactly what. Any thoughts on this. I know it is Out of Topic.
>You mentioned that you suspected DOS attack on your mail gateway previously but never provided any >details. I suspected some major misconfiguration on your side, like running an open relay or a policy of >accept-then-bounce, which would be very serious issues that have to be solved.

>I you don't want to disclose any details on this list, you should consider hiring external consulting.

We block pings to out mail servers and it's doesn’t appear to cause any issues.
We've also had DOS attacks but it's not due to any misconfiguration, just someone taking a dislike to us!

Rothamsted Research is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England at Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ under the registration number 2393175 and a not for profit charity number 802038.