Re: [pcre-dev] PERL Configure Makefile.PL for PERL_C_REGEXP?

Author: ph10
To: Brian Barnes
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PERL Configure Makefile.PL for PERL_C_REGEXP?
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Brian Barnes wrote:

> windoz do NOT HAVE a bash shell. installing cygwin to get a half-assed
> BASH comes at a very high price in bastardizing your machine into a
> not-quite Linux, not-quite win, misbegotten kludge.

That is probably why Windows users seem to prefer using CMake to build
PCRE.

> I thought of hacking that half-a-million-byte monstrosity of a configure
> file until I looked at it. Have you ever considered upgrading your PERL_cre
> configure script to config.PL???

"configure" is auto-generated by the GNU autotools package. Many
packagers and distributions expect and are used to this way of building
software. I maintain two files called configure.ac and Makefile.am and
the autotools do the rest. In particular, the fiddly stuff for building
static and/or dynamic libraries is done without my needing to know
anything about it.

> The DATA STRUCTURES you feebly fumble with in that brain-dead, prehistoric,
> anachronism of a macro language could be handled elegantly and with a tenth
> of the code in a real data processing language. Like PERL!

That is a criticism of the GNU build process - there no point aiming it
at me. :-)

Philip

--
Philip Hazel